Sunday 22 June 2014

cumquat cake

i pruned my cumquat tree yesterday..it's looks so much better now that its heavily fruited lower branches have been removed because the bit of trunk now showing gives the garden a bit of depth and you can see my not so discrete anymore for eating stinging nettle patch..i don't know why it took me so long to work out that a good prune was in order because its demeanor's been bugging me for quite some time..

i find pruning's always a bit of a mixed blessing..there's the good bit where i like to stand back and admire my handy work and congratulate myself on another job sorted..but then slowly my eyes dare wander towards the mountain of prunings and suddenly my mood changes..in this case there was the old classic pruner's branch disposal dilemma to contend with as well as the dozens of cumquats that needed removing from the branches..

dealing with the branches was easy..i dragged them round the back and i'm ignoring them..for the moment..i made a cumquat cake for afternoon tea with some of the cumquats..such a lovely treat to have with a cup of tea after all my hard work..i pruned my roses too..probably a bit early but i'm one of those people who, once they get a pair of secateurs in hand, are a gardening menace..anyway, to use up the stash of cumquats i've ended up with i'd have to make about a dozen cumquat cakes..even i can't eat that much cake..




cumquat cake
recipe adapted from here


ingredients

300 gms deseeded cumquats
150 gms golden castor sugar
150 gms ground almonds (commercially packaged)
50 gms ground almonds (not too fine with skin on)
100 gms dessicated coconut
1/2 teaspoon sodium bicarbonate
2 tablespoons self raising flour
3 eggs

method

~ mix all dry ingredients together
~ process cumquats until pureed
~ whisk eggs and sugar until pale and frothy
~ gently mix dry ingredients and cumquat puree into egg and sugar mixture with a metal spoon
~ pour into greased and lined 22-23 cm spring form tin
~ bake 180 deg c for about 40 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centre of the cake just comes out clean

comments/serving

~ this cake has a slight bitterness which i like and it's not very sweet so the cumquat syrup (i used my cumquat cordial which is thick enough to use as a syrup) i served it with was a welcome addition..and it's versatile and quick and really easy to make..



happy monday monday everyone..x


6 comments:

  1. Looks delicious - and I'm not even a fan of "all-in" citrus cakes. We made cumquat jelly once and it was fabulous - better than marmalade! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks celia..i like both but i don't eat a lot of jelly and jam so i have to be careful not to get carried away and make enormous quantities that i can't eat or give away..x

      Delete
  2. Delish...I saw a little cumquat tree completely bedecked and bedaubed with cumquats the other day in a run-down old house in the middle of the city. Never seen so many before in all my life. I was too chicken to pinch some but one day I will get my own tree and will make this delicious looking cake of GREAT happiness (only I will have to veganise mine ;) )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. gosh fran..i think i would have had to grab a few..there's nothing like a bit of purloined bounty to lift the spirits..x

      Delete
  3. Hiya, Cumquats are my favourite things. I just love them. Glace cumquats are just perfect and even better dipped in tempered dark chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. oh..no..now that you've mentioned it i'm going to have to make some glace cumquats..x

      Delete